.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Personal Learning Styles Essay

Everyone learns and retains information differently than one another. There are so many different types of learning styles out there. There are visual learners, verbal learners, and kinesthetic learners. Visual learners remember best what they see by diagrams, flow charts or maps. Auditory learners remember best what they hear and kinesthetic learners are best when they can be hands on. College is such an important part of my life and of many young people in today’s day and age. I have two small children and a husband who works very hard at his job so he doesn’t have time for college. My mother was lucky enough to start a job with Intel almost 14 years ago but did not go to college; therefore she does not have a college degree. My father did, however, go to college, but never used his degree to his advantage. My reasons for seeking a college degree are more than just showing my family that I can be successful and stick to something, but it’s to prove to myself th at I can do it. I want my children to know that their mom worked really hard and never gave up on her dreams, quitting is not an option. When things become hard, you push through and do your best. I am a very intense learner. I have found that I learn best visually and verbally. Visual learners remember best what they see—pictures, diagrams, flow charts, time lines, films, and demonstrations. Verbal learners get more out of words—written and spoken explanations. Everyone learns more when information is presented both visually and verbally. (Felder & Soloman, n.d ). If you are a VISUAL learner, then by all means be sure that you look at all study materials. Use charts, maps, filmstrips, notes and flashcards. Practice visualizing or picturing words/concepts in your head. Write out everything for frequent and quick visual review. (Bixler, 2010) I have found in college most teachers, not all, but most don’t use a whole of visual presentation.  If at all possible, it’s best to ask the instructor if there are references you can look to for further help or guidance. I would have to say upon taking these short tests and seeing the results I agree with the outcome of the two. I believe I am a visual and verbal learner. I do believe I do better when I can visually see what the instructor is talking about, It gives me a clear picture whether it be a map, chart or something as simple as an image, shows me what the focus point is and the topics surrounding it. I also believe I am a verbal learner as well. I reciprocate and retain information so much better when they are the ones explaining and interpreting that information. Write summaries or outlines of course material in your own words. Working in groups can be particularly effective: you gain understanding of material by hearing classmates’ explanations and you learn even more when you do the explaining. (Felder & Soloman, n.d ). I do know, that I do not do well when I am forced to read chapters upon chapters at a time with a test or quiz at the end of each one. It is extremely hard for me to retain any information like that because my mind wanders. If I have something to focus on, like an instructor, it keeps my attention; it’s exciting and keeps me eager to learn. Although there are many types of learning styles not everyone has the same techniques. Verbal, visual and kinesthetic are just to name a few. Whether it be using maps, charts or graphs, listening to lectures or having to be hands on, there is no wrong way of learning. Whatever style works best for your needs is the one that should be utilized the most. References Felder, R. M., & Soloman, B. A. (n.d.). Index of learning styles. Retrieved from http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/learningstyles/ilsweb.html Bixler, B. (2010). Learning style inventory. Retrieved from http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/LSI/LSI.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment